THIS is the perfect summer cupcake. PERFECT. My favorite by-the-pool drink is a pina colada, and this captures the mood and flavor perfectly. It’s a delicate balance of creamy coconut icing and a moist pineapple cake. These are a must at any picnic, by the pool, at the beach, in a dark closet by yourself….whatever the occasion. They are on the top of my list for favorite cupcake recipes by far. Give them a try, and don’t forget to top them with true pina colada flair!
pina colada cupcakes
recipe from Glorious Treats
|1½||teaspoons baking powder|
|½||teaspoon baking soda|
|1||cup vegetable oil|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|¾||cup sour cream|
|1½||cups canned crushed pineapple (drained slightly)|
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar until slightly thickened and a light cream color (about 2 minutes).
- On low speed, mix in the oil and vanilla until blended.
- Add in the pineapple and sour cream and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and blend until just combined and smooth.
- Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners and fill about 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes in a pre-heated 350*F oven for about 22 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
coconut cream cheese frosting
|½||cup (1 stick/8 Tablespoons) butter, at room temperature|
|8||oz. cream cheese, at room temperature|
|½||tsp vanilla extract (always use pure vanilla extract if possible)|
|1½||teaspoons coconut extract (you may want to start with just 1 teaspoon of coconut extract, you can always add more, but you can’t take it out!)|
|4||cups powdered confectioners sugar|
|1||tbs heavy cream, heavy whipping cream or milk (or dark rum)|
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth. Add cream cheese and blend until well combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla extract, coconut extract and powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
- Slowly add the heavy cream or rum.
- Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes and eat!