I took a trip. A week long work conference in Vegas (I got wild and took a picture in front of a slot machine! lol) and of course what would my poor sweet husband do without me all week long? Who would
watch him play video games and eat pizza all night long feed him and make sure he gets to bed okay?? So I perused the wonderful world wide web for an easy slow cooker recipe that screamed out man-meal (yes, okay, there are recipes like that. They usually involve some combination of cheese, bacon, sausage, and as seen here—buffalo sauce never hurts). I was not surprised and secretly excited when I came home to find he’d been eating fruit and vegetables a large pizza for days and I would get to make this recipe myself. I was a little skeptical about lasagna in the slow cooker and also about the idea of mixing buffalo and marinara sauce—are there Italian cowboys?–but bleu cheese and buffalo flavors are one of our favorites and they sure didn’t let us down. I love a good twist on a classic and this was awesome and so tender and thick, cooked to perfection as I walked through the door after a long day which is awesome because lasagna normally involves an hour of pressing your face up against the oven door and watching the cheese slowly bubble for an hour or more. Subtly classic, with a true flavor kick. Try it out and then give your slow cooker a hug!
slow cooker buffalo chicken lasagna
|1||box lasagna noodles, uncooked|
|1||lb chicken breast, cooked and diced/shredded|
|1||cup buffalo wing sauce (sweet baby ray’s all the way!)|
|1||jar traditional marinara sauce (we love prego b/c its sweet and hearty)|
|1||tub (15oz) ricotta cheese|
|1||cup shredded mozzarella cheese|
|1||cup shredded sharp cheddar|
|bleu cheese crumbles|
The night before:
- Pre cook the chicken breast in a skillet over medium high and dice/shred.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large mixing bowl, add marinara and buffalo sauces. Stir until mixed, cover, and refrigerate over night. Save your pasta sauce jar with the little bit of sauce left in it–you will use it tomorrow.
In the morning:
- Place about half the chicken mixture at the bottom of the crock pot.
- Cover with flat layer of uncooked noodles (you will have to break them to fit the shape of the pot).
- Spread a layer of about half your ricotta cheese on top of the noodles, then sprinkle with mozzarella, cheddar, and bleu cheeses (and do your happy cheese dance!).
- Repeat with the rest of your chicken mixture, a layer of noodles, the rest of your ricotta, and a bounty of your 3 cheeses.
- After assembled, pour the ¼ cup of water into your pasta sauce jar, tighten the lid, and shake. Pour this mixture over top of your lasagna, making sure to saturate the edges and working your way in.
- Place the lid on your crock pot and turn on low for 6-7 hours. It was suggested that you could also cook it on high for 4-5 hours, which I did and it turned out great except that the edges were a little burnt in places. I think if you have the time, do the low heat version BUT our high heat, quick version really was delicious and perfect besides those few spots. Enjoy!