The classic combo—salty and sweet—come together again. And how better than in cheesecake form! I have recently been enjoying trying out all the wonderful ways to put a twist on traditional cheesecake. Cream cheese is becoming a consistent stock item in our apartment—in icings and cheesecakes, on crackers and in casseroles. And we love neufchâtel cheese, as it tastes the same and has 1/3 the fat. And this recipe is no bake, no stress. Try it out and you’ll find out just how delicious this new twist on an old favorite really can be.
butterfinger pretzel cheesecake
from backtoherroots.com adapted from Baker’s Royale
|3||ounces pretzel twists (about 1/2 cup)|
|2||tablespoons melted butter|
|¼||cup cold water|
|1||packet unflavored gelatin|
|1½||cup heavy cream|
|8||ounces cream cheese, softened|
|1/3||cup peanut butter|
|1/3||cup granulated sugar|
|Pinch of salt|
|½||cup of Butterfinger and pretzel mixture|
|½||cup semisweet chocolate chips|
|½||cup heavy cream|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the Butterfingers and pretzels. Pulse until well-chopped, but not dust.
- Remove 1/2 cup of mixture and set aside.
- Still in melted butter to Butterfinger/pretzel mixture until well-combined. Press mixture firmly into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan to form the crust.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To prepare the filling, mix the water and gelatin in a small, microwave safe bowl and set aside to bloom.
- Meanwhile, beat heavy cream on high in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until medium stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar, salt and reserved Butterfinger/pretzel mixture. Beat on medium until smooth. Set aside.
- Place bowl of gelatin in microwave and heat at 50% power for 10 seconds. This is to smooth out the gelatin mixture.
- With the mixer on low, slowly stream in the gelatin mixture to the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
- By hand, fold the whipped cream in with the cream cheese mixture.
- Spread filling evenly into the springform pan.
- To prepare ganache, combine chocolate and heavy cream in a double boiler over low heat. Once chocolate is melted and combined with the cream, remove from heat and drizzle over cheesecake.
- Place cheesecake in fridge and let chill for at least 3-4 hours or until set up. Before serving, move ring of springform pan.