I only post the good recipes. I know I must sound silly in entry after entry, raving about each recipe as if it were the best thing since
the last recipe sliced bread. But I want you to know, there are recipes that don’t make it. There is the occasional recipe that just lacks flair, doesn’t cook quite right, or just isn’t as good as it sounded. I figure these aren’t ones to share with friends, I want to build a collection that is the best of the best–to develop a great resource for myself and others to feel like any choice is a good choice.
Now, that being said, the meal we had tonight was really one of the best we’ve made. We’ve had our share of good meals, impressive and flavorful. Tonight’s meal has earned its rightful place at the top of our favorite meals ever. I honestly am not exaggerating, I hope that you will consider trying it out—-it’s sooo amazing. I’m glad my husband and I were the only ones in the room when we ate it because the whole time we were making noises and exclaiming how amazing it was, and he kept telling me that from now on he wanted this meal to be his special yearly birthday dinner (replacing the long time favorite of corn dogs and mac n’ cheese). It was easy and just wonderful for this time of year—a wonderful spin on the classic grilled cheese and tomato soup. Buffalo and blue cheese—-a wonderful flavor combination, in happy balance. Once you try it you’ll understand. It is remarkably good. A new favorite for sure.
buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwiches
inspired by closetcooking.com
|1½||lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast (thawed)|
|1||cup buffalo wing sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s all the way!)|
|1||loaf bread, your choice|
|1-2||cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese|
|butter for bread|
- Place whole chicken breasts in slow cooker (crock pot), set to low. Cover with 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce.
- Allow to slow cook for 4-5 hours (pop it in at lunch and dinner will be ready on time!)
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and place in a medium bowl, leaving behind excess sauce and juices. Shred using two forks.
- Add a fresh ¼-½ cup of buffalo wing sauce to the shredded chicken, to your own liking.
- Place a small amount of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Place one piece of bread in the pan, sprinkle with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. Then place a few scoops of the shredded chicken and spread. Cover with more sprinkled cheese and top off with second piece of bread. Flip sandwich, press with back of spatula to help stick the sandwich together until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
|3||lbs tomatoes (plum or on the vine preferably)|
|1||can condensed tomato soup|
|4||oz blue cheese|
|1||clove garlic (I just took a small scoop from my jar of chopped garlic in the fridge)|
|sea salt and ground black pepper|
|extra virgin olive oil|
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cover a cookie sheet with a lip in a sheet of foil.
- Slice plum tomatoes in half (or vine tomatoes into quarters) lengthwise. Place in a single layer on the foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 1 hour.
- After roasting, scoop the tomatoes into a food processor. Grind until a nice, chunky but smooth consistency. Add the can of condensed tomato soup and the blue cheese. Process again for a few seconds until smooth.
- At this point you can place this mix right onto the stovetop over medium/medium high and cover with a lid to warm. If making the night before, place into te fridge and reheat the same way.
- This soup is best enjoyed by using your sandwich to scoop up the soup. Make a few extra grilled cheeses—I promise they won’t go to waste.