Don’t worry, this post isn’t going to be about underwear. Though I will mention that after doing a trial run of these cookies to make sure the cut outs didn’t overpuff, I had an apartment full of bra and panty cookies I had no idea what to do with (these aren’t work appropriate??). After briefly imagining my almost all-male coworkers with handfuls of these pink unmentionables, I
ate did something more responsible and healthy with them. These aren’t really sugar cookies by any means. They have a smooth vanilla bean flavor coupled with refreshing lemon. I have mentioned before that I don’t really eat a ton of what I make since I intake enough sugar in the process of licking my fingers and inhaling over-sweetened air in the process. But these I ate. When I made them for practice. And again at the lingerie shower. And the next morning after the shower (breakfast!). Don’t judge. They are great for cutouts of any kind–they puff up a little as they bake but settle back down when removed from the oven and cooled. A little piping work and you’ve got yourself a specialty cookie you’d have previously had to order until you uncovered your exceptionally mad cookie skills. Good luck!
from martha stewart’s cookie book
|1½||cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting|
|½||teaspoon baking powder|
|6||tablespoons ( 3/4 stick) unsalted butter|
|½||cups granulated sugar, plus 2 additional tablespoons|
|2||tablespoons powdered sugar|
|1||vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved|
|Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon|
- Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Put butter, granulated and powdered sugars, vanilla seeds, and zest into the bowl and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg and reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until combined.
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of floured parchment paper to 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes (I freeze for 30mins for good measure, since its easier to work with when its solid and also puff up less so your shapes will come out clearer).
- Remove top layer of parchment. Using a cookie cutter, cut out your shapes. Reroll scraps, refrigerate/freeze, and cut out again. I recommend a final freeze of all your cutouts on a cookie sheet right before baking.
- Space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until pale golden, about 6 minutes. They won’t look very done, but trust me they will be perfect. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Decorate with royal icing and sprinkles. For my cutouts, I used a heart cookie cutter first, then flipped it upside down, overlapping just the top of the heart cutter over the top of the cookie you just cut out. This will make a bra. The rest of the heart you just trim to make into a triangle for panties.