Just in time for summer, these cupcakes are simply amazing! Each one is like a delectable bite of key lime pie, a little piece of paradise. It’s the perfect balance of tangy and sweet, and the cream cheese frosting is a great compliment to the lime. These may well be my new favorite cupcake flavor, I found myself popping one after another throughout the work day (minis have a way of tricking your mind that way). I chose to make my (40!) minis straight in the pan–no sleeves–and they came out with this great golden edge that gave it a very key lime pie kind of look. Seriously, these things are addictive and even now I am staring across the room at the few that made it through the day and back home, I am wondering if I might make it into the double digits by night’s end. Just kidding. Sort of.
key lime pie cupcakes
from bon apetit
|3/4||cup all purpose flour|
|1||cup self-rising flour|
|½||cup salted butter, room temperature|
|3||tablespoons fresh lime juice|
|1||tablespoon finely grated lime peel|
|¼||teaspoon neon-green food coloring (or green with a little yellow)|
*you really just need 2 limes: grate one to make the zest you need, then for the juice use both
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin pan with 12 paper liners–or grease the pan and go commando!
- Whisk both flours in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter & sugar in large bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then the lime juice, grated zest, and food coloring (batter may look curdled—but don’t fret!). Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions.
- Fill each cup just over half full. Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean and tops spring back when touched— 9 to 10 minutes for mini cupcakes OR 20 to 25 minutes for regular sized cupcakes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
amazing cream cheese icing
|8||ounces cream cheese (1 package), at room temperature|
|4||tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|3 ½||cups powdered sugar|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
- In the medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed. Add the sugar and beat on low speed until combined. Add the vanilla and increase the speed to medium-high; beat until creamy and smooth, about 4 minutes.
**Optional: top with crushed graham cracker to top off the pie theme